Replacement Bulbs For Passing Lamps (Using H-D Replacements)
The OEM passing lamps contain 2 bulbs (35W and 5W). Unfortunately, Yamaha covered the rear of the bulbs in a white glue-like substance which is very difficult to remove. Other people do not like the 2-bulb look. Several people have replaced the lamp with a Harley-Davidson sealed single-bulb lamp.
H-D Part # 68208-98A
Replacing the bulb:
- Open the OEM passing lamp. There are 2 pairs of wires (red = hot, black = ground), one pair for each bulb.
- Cut the red wire going to the 5W bulb, tape off or cap. (The H-D lamp only has 1 bulb.)
- Do the same to the black ground wire for the 5W bulb.
- Connect the red wire going to the 35W bulb to the H-D red wire via splice, butt connector, solder, etc.
- Crimp the connector H-D supplied onto the black ground wire and plug it into the little square piece on the lens back, beside the bulb base.